Killer Halloween Party Ideas That Boost Employee Morale
By Karen Garces, 09/04/19
Halloween is one of those seasons that get employees juiced up. Besides the tradition of transforming offices into a spooky den, it’s also an opportunity to loosen up a very tense work environment. Out of the 365 days a year, Halloween allows employees, regardless of rank, to have a little fun at the office.
Fun and exciting business Halloween party ideas can engage employees who seem to isolate themselves from everyone else. As a business owner, the most important thing is to bolster employee morale and get them motivated. And if employees work in a sullen and uninspiring environment, it impacts productivity.
Why Business Halloween Party Ideas Can Change the Game
There are tons of reasons why business Halloween party ideas are a must. Not only do they allow corporate employees to relax and dress down, but they also improve internal relationships in the office. Here’s a list of other benefits of corporate Halloween parties:
- Boost morale and productivity
- Build teamwork
- Improve communication
- Promote inter-departmental collaboration
- Bolster creativity
- Allow employees to show their leadership skills
- Allow employees to create innovative ideas
- Let employees digress from work and have fun
- Let you discover highly potential employees naturally
- Could give employees something to look forward to every year
Fun Corporate Halloween Party Ideas
Spending one day a year for fun business Halloween parties won’t hurt. In fact, it might even do your revenue good in the long run. So let’s cut to the chase and let me share these five creative business Halloween party ideas your employees will surely love.
Weird Halloween Costume Themes
Why stray from tradition when tradition has been fun all those years? One way to boost employee morale is to let them go crazy even for one day. Unlike Christmas, New Year, and a few occasional costume birthday parties, they only get to dress up as whoever or whatever they want during Halloween.
Angels? Demons? Vampires? Naah! Too boring. Think outside the box and think of an outrageous costume party theme. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Lame and weird objects. Let them dress up as a toilet bowl, dog poop, a wine bottle, or a plate of spaghetti. The funnier, the better.
- Superheroes. Halloween lets employees unleash their childishness and just let loose for a day. Take them back to their childhood memories and make them dress up as superheroes.
- Classic spooky zombies. Okay, maybe we can’t deviate from the classic scary costumes. But let’s take it a notch higher, shall we? The most gruesome zombie costume with blood dripping and eyeballs popping wins!
Take the Party Outside
Sometimes it’s also refreshing to have a change of environment to refresh your employees’ work mindset. Employees work five days a week (sometimes six), nine hours a day (sometimes 12) at the office. Give them a chance to breathe fresh air the whole day on a weekday. Take your business Halloween party ideas outside.
Organize a simple beach barbeque party. There’s nothing like an old laid-back beach barbeque party with beautiful weather and flowing alcoholic refreshments. If the weather does not permit, you can team up with charities in your area and do charity work the entire day. Of course, capping it off with a nice dinner makes it even more special.
What’s important is that everyone agrees to the final Halloween party idea and destination, so no one gets left out. Do some brainstorming sessions, gather some ideas, and let everyone speak up.
Office Halloween Party Games
Halloween games also promote engagement at the office while having heaps of fun. You can create a regular Halloween program including an opening ceremony, dance presentations, and end it with a couple of exciting Halloween games.
Here are some fun ones you can try:
- The mummy wrap. Divide employees into groups and provide as many toilet paper rolls and washable paint. Creative geniuses get to transform their co-workers into lifelike mummies.
- Tombstone building. Gather up used styro, washable paint, and other props and let each department create a real-life tombstone or graveyard. For a more eco-friendly alternative, they can also use cardboard boxes.
- Pumpkin carving. The traditional pumpkin carving never gets old. However, instead of just letting every employee carve a pumpkin each, turn it into a group effort. Let them create a unique garden of carved pumpkins, complete with other Halloween paraphernalia and decors. The result should be a collective, beautiful bed of carved pumpkins.
The crazier your business Halloween party game ideas are, the better. Make sure you provide enough hors d’ oeuvres and cocktails to establish a casual atmosphere, even though you’re celebrating at the office.
Office Halloween Storytelling
Set the mood right at the office during Halloween to make employees forget about stressful work for a day. If you’re going to organize a party, then go all-out. First off, let each department create a scary Halloween clip a few weeks before the big Halloween celebration. Each group will then present their submissions to the entire company in a pitch black setting to amp up the Halloween spirit.
Then you can do a Halloween storytelling segment where each employee shares a scary story. Turn the lights off and have a flashlight focused on the storyteller’s face to make for a frightening vibe. To encourage employees to participate, ensure there’s a lovely prize waiting for them.
Halloween Decorating Contest
It’s hard to miss the good old Halloween office decorating contest. Instead of letting the employees do it before the Halloween party, let them do it on the day of the party. It will give them something to look forward to and even push them to exert extra effort, especially if a special prize is in store.
A lot of benefits come with this. A huge department with several employees can collaborate and get to know each other. It also boosts each employee’s creativity. Plus, it allows them to work cohesively together in a fun and non-hierarchical way.
Wrapping It Up
Thinking of the best business Halloween party ideas will let you discover your employees’ hidden skills and potentials. And since your employees work hard for their families day in and day out, let them invite their families as well. The whole point of celebrating Halloween with employees and co-workers is to spend one weekday without thinking about deadlines, client meetings, and a bunch of mundane clerical tasks.